Monday, June 19, 2006

But it's time to face the truth - I'll never be with you

Just kidding.

That's all I have to say about the last post.

Just kidding.

I thought I was a good judge of whether or not a boy liked me. I even err on the cautious side, more likely to believe that the guy isn't enamored. But with this one, I thought I was right. I didn't realize that electricity could be self-generating.

Let's start at the beginning.

Well, you already know the beginning. Let's follow up.

So after that night at the club, I figured I'd never see the boy again. It was, after all, the end of the year, and we were destined for two very different lives. Me for med school. Him for the political spotlight. But my guy friends - crafty guys that they are - devised various reasons for me to see the boy again and again.

We were invited over for game night. And after six grueling hours of taboo, apples to apples, chess, and various drinking games, we all realized that it was 4:20am. Perfect for a quick trip to the 24-hour Burger King and then a jaunt to the beach to watch the sunrise. A group of us went, but we miraculously found ourselves paired off. No doubt thanks to my boys who made sure certain people went to the left so that I was left alone with the boy on the right side of the beach. As we sat there, the alcohol began to wear off, and we realized that I was shivering. Chivalrous boy that he is, the boy immediately took off his sweater and gave it to me. And though I know it was just a piece of clothing, that gesture made me swoon. So imagine how I felt when he put his arm around me and pulled me in close. And then we sat there. Together. Watching the sun rise. It was great.

We left soon after. I was sleepy and he had a paper that was due in a couple of hours. (That fact alone made me convinced that he must have felt something between us, since he gave up precious typing time to go to the beach instead.)

But that's not all.

A couple of days later, Kelvin and I were invited to a birthday party at a downtown hotspot. Remember now, Kelvin's one crafty boy. So he invited the boy along to be my plus one. (Although I'm sure he didn't phrase it that way.) A couple other people came along as well, including the boy's roommate. The infamous boy from the beginning of the quarter.

But it was fine. The infamous boy was angry pretty much the whole time and ignored the rest of us, but the boy and I had a blast. Given that it was an open bar, we got pretty trashed - it being graduation and all. So with that liquid courage, we were being openly flirtatious. Holding hands. Dancing real close. I didn't feel so well towards the end of the night, so he sat with me. Petting my hand and resting his head against mine.

I was so happy.

We rode home together. And when he was dropped off, he petted my knee and said, "good night...take care."

I didn't realize that would be the last time I would talk to him.

The next day was a senior event. He had tickets to attend, but ended up skipping.

The day after, he missed a BBQ that a mutual friend was hosting.

And the night after that was Senior Formal. Both of us had tickets to that. Interestingly enough, though he was invited to be a part of our group, he decided not to come with us. And then when we were at the actual formal, we barely acknowledged each other. No, I take that back. I acknowledged him, and all I got was the slightest hint of a head nod.

I don't know what I did. Was he avoiding me? Why was it suddenly awkward?

Maybe he realized that there was no point. My best guy friend is convinced that he, perhaps, realized that he liked me, and then was scared to let it develop any more - given how we were graduating and all. Or it could be something completely different. Maybe I scared him off, 'cause I couldn't read the signs. I am, after all, Intimidation Central.

I don't know. I'm just sad there wasn't a proper ending to what could have been the best fling of my life.