Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The other side of the door

Today was my first day of primary care, and I found out that a couple classmates and I are working in the same group practice. After specifically asking my attending what she wanted me to do, I started to figure out the rhythm and flow of things. I was to get the patient from the waiting room and get vitals. Then, depending on what my attending had pre-decided with me, I'd either do a quick checkup by myself, or wait for her and do it together.

It was going well.

So I went out to the waiting room to bring the 2 o'clock appointment back, and then I saw him. The college grad from my neuro rotation. I had totally forgotten that I had set up his appointments for him, and he was to see his primary care physician today at 2:15pm.

I didn't know at the time, but his primary care physician is in the same practice as my attending.

"Mrs. O'Grady?" I called out, hoping that he was so engrossed in the magazine he was flipping through that he wouldn't look up, wouldn't see me, and I could pretend he didn't exist.

An old woman looked up. "Is it my turn, dear?"

"Yes, ma'am," I replied, cringing at bringing more attention to myself.

He did look up. And he did see me. "Michelle!" he said loudly, inquisitively.

"Oh hi there, Mr. Clark," I mumbled.

"Aren't you supposed to be on neuro?" he asked.

"Uh, no, I finished that rotation last week," I replied, willing my elderly patient to get her things together quicker, and to walker her way over to the door faster.

"Oh, so you're here now! Awesome! So I'll see you later?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm um, not working with your doctor, but I hope you have a good visit," I mumbled back, finally going over to help my little old lady with her things, and rushing her through the entrance door into the safety of my doctor's exam rooms.

I took an especially long history with Ms. O'Grady, but thankfully his physician's office is located in a completely different area from where I was. I never did see him after that.

But I guess I spoke too soon last time.

Seriously? What are the odds?!