Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Livin' in paradise (South Africa, Day 4)

Dinner at Mama Africa! Recommended by our friend Gelia - who is from Germany, and also arrived just this week. Apparently the shunning extends to all of the new kids, but we're forming our own pack. And Gelia is great, totally in the know about what to do and where to go. I kinda adore her.

So for dinner I got the mixed grill plate, which consisted of: venison sausage, kudo, springbok, ostrich, and crocodile. Who knew I'd be so adventurous, ey?

Crocodile - apparently it's not just a phrase, because it honest to goodness does taste like chicken.

Ostrich is delicious! And not at all like chicken, which is what I was expecting, since it's just a giant bird right? But no, it's like filet mignon, but even more tender and delicious, if you can believe it.

I had no idea what kudu or springbok was, except that I had seen them on safaris, but are apparently not so wild that they're not raised for their meat. Unless someone actually went and hunted these. Anyhow, wild or not, they were both delicious as well.

And well, venison is venison, and even in sausage form (or perhaps because it was in sausage form), it was quite game-y and I couldn't really stomach it.

From left: vegetables, venison sausage, kudu, springbok, ostrich, crocodile