Friday, August 11, 2006

Bless the broken road

You might want to take a seat. I have some big news.

Ready?

I have a boyfriend.

Yes.

A boyfriend.

Now here’s the kicker. I’m scared out of my mind that I’m setting myself up for disappointment.

Let’s be honest; we met under less-than-ideal conditions. We had both just graduated and starting this very temporary summer job in gorgeous Los Angeles where we work from 6am to midnight. I was salty after my last pseudo-relationship went belly-up. Six months ago, he broke up with his girlfriend of three years – the one he thought he was going to marry, mind you – after she cheated on him.

Talk about excess baggage.

Never mind that we had only known each other for two weeks. And that we were only going to be working with each other for another month.

Never mind that I live in Chicago, and he’s from Missouri.

Never mind that my parents would never approve of his non-Taiwanese heritage.

Never mind all that. We were in Los Angeles. Land of impulse buying and instant gratification. Los Angeles is, after all, Lindsay’s Lohan home base – and we all see the tabloid stories of her 4-day relationships with different men.

Yet, what started out as a summer fling has started to turn somewhat more permanent. And I couldn’t be more excited.

Something about our relationship just clicks. He understands me. That’s quite the cliché, I know. But he does. He’s so ridiculously right-on all the time about my feelings and fears, and he knows exactly what to do to assuage them. Which is very unlike my ex-boyfriends. My last boyfriend was not the guy to go to for affirmation. He would say things like “hey, if I stop liking you, I’ll let you know – otherwise just assume that I still like you,” while Tim – yes, you know I’m serious about a boy when I actually name him in my posts - is very vocal about being heads over heels for me.

I’m not going to lie. It’s strange to hear that from someone you’ve only known for a short while. Self-esteem boosting for sure, but still strange. I mean, what does he like? How could he possibly know who I am after knowing me for merely a month and a half? True, we spent every waking moment together. But still. What if summer vacation Michelle is very different from during the school year Michelle? Will he still like me then? I’m starting medical school! It’s going to be tough. It’s going to be stressful. And him! He’s going to be traveling around the country, working for a junior high conference, working from 6am to midnight. How is our relationship possibly going to work out? And how weird is it to start off a relationship long-distance? And how insane is my phone bill going to be every month?

Like I said, I’m scared out of my mind.

I’m scared because I like this boy far too much. Far more than I should, given the circumstances.

Keep your fingers crossed that this doesn't blow up in my face. When I'm least expecting it.