Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nifty, fifty United States

Apparently, third grade geography class failed a couple of us.


Michelle
What are the five states that border Illinois?

Martin

Oh! Kentucky, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Mich- no, it's MO - MONTANA!

Michelle
(aghast)
Montana?!?!

Martin
(realizing)
Oh wait! No! MO is Missouri, not Montana!!

...

Later on that day, I'm telling my other geography-challenged friend about this exchange.

Elinor
Wait, what is the abbreviation for Montana then? MO is Missouri, MN is Minnesota, MA is Massachusetts..what the heck is Montana?!

[five minutes later]

Elinor
Ohhh, it's MT. I just wikipedia'ed it. By the way, did you know it's the fourth largest state? But with the 44th largest population in the nation? And that its name is Spanish for mountains? It's north of the Rocky Mountains, which is probably why it's called the Land of Shining Mountains.

Michelle
(inner monologue)
Holy crap...this is more information about Montana than I ever wanted to know in my entire life.

Elinor

DUDE. MONTANA BORDERS CANADA. WTF?

[2 minute pause as she Google searches for a map of the US, while I geek out about how much I know about Montana to Martin.]

Martin
4th largest state?! No waaay!! It's like 2nd or something. Look how big it is! Hold on, I'm gonna Wikipedia total area of some of these states.

[30 seconds later]

Martin
DUDE!! DUUUUUUDE!!!!!

Michelle
(alarmed)
What's wrong?!

Martin

Alaska is HUGE! HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

Michelle

I know, it's not drawn to scale on the map.

Martin

But look at it! [as he triumphantly shows me his computer screen of North America] It's enormous!!

Elinor

Omg, it's HUMONGO!

Michelle

Yes, it's the largest state in the nation.

Elinor

What?! I always assumed California was the biggest.

Michelle

...

Elinor
...

Michelle
Uh, there's also Texas.

Elinor
Oh yeah...I guess that state is pretty big too.