Thursday, August 21, 2008

The way you make me feel

It might be a little pathetic, but I live for grocery shopping.

Not too long ago, my retail therapy used to consist of visits to Express and Ann Taylor. Crate and Barrel or Sephora if I really deserved it. After all, it's amazing what a good pair of jeans can do for your morale. And your butt.

But those days are long gone. Now, my motivation comes from food. If I'm good and finish this task, then I can reward myself and go to the store to buy some eggs. And then I can finally have that omelet I've been craving all week, instead of that same old bland yogurt every single morning.

It's also Back to School season. And during my off-task daydreaming, I'll think of what snacks I want to take to class with me. Granola. Broccoli. Maybe even some Monkey Munch.

Splurging used to mean buying a really cute dress that wasn't on sale. Splurging now means buying brand-name foods. (I don't care how you spin it - for some odd reason, store brands just don't taste the same. Or as good.)

So when my friend J called me up to hang out, I cheerily and excitedly asked if we could go to the grocery store.

"Uh, sure," he replied. Clearly his enthusiasm level was much lower than mine.

And after buying all the ingredients for my monkey munch, a dozen eggs, and 2-for-1 granola bars, I walked over to the cereal aisle.

"Hey, why don't you get this strawberry frosted mini wheats thing?" J pointed to a very pink cereal box.

"Is it good for you?" I was dubious.

"It's pink. Even the cereal is pink! And I bet it'll turn your milk pink too."

"..."

"It'll be mentally good for you. You'll start each day with a big bowl of pink."

I laughed and walked away. But five minutes later, I came back and grabbed that box of cereal. Because well, one, I needed a quick breakfast food, and nothing comes simpler than cereal. And two, his reasoning did make a lot of sense. Pink makes me happy. And it's good to start the day happy. Pink happy.

I may splurge on food instead of clothes now, but I'm still a sucker for anything pink.