Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Poker face

PATIENT
So, your whole team...what's the hierarchy?

ME
Well, there's the attending, the senior resident, the intern, and then there's me, the medical student. And we're your general medicine care team.

PATIENT
Hm, can you put that in Grey's Anatomy terms?

ME
Sure! So Dave, the resident, is like Meredith Grey. Or Cristina Yang. Izzie Stevens. That group of people.

PATIENT
Got it.

ME
And Jami - the intern, is like Lexie Grey. You know, the people on the show who were performing appendectomies on each other.

PATIENT
I'm assuming they don't do that in real life.

ME
Haha, no. And our attending Dr. Peters* is like...Dr. Shepherd.

PATIENT
Oh, McDreamy.

ME
Yes, though unfortunately, not as attractive.

PATIENT
Hahaha! I agree! Wait, so who does that make you?

ME
Well, clearly, I'm the Chief.

*Name changed to protect my grade.