Friday, November 13, 2009

Watcha say

ME
Patient presents with a 6 month history of increasing depressive symptoms. He notes apathy, weight gain, and chronic fatigue even with 8 hours of sleep each night. He mentioned that he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life and feels somewhat lost.

PRECEPTOR
How old is he?

ME
Twenty-one, sir.

PRECEPTOR
How's his sex drive?

ME
No decrease in libido.

PRECEPTOR
Well then, it sounds to me like he's just lost his mojo - you know that reference right? Austin Powers?

---
Later that day, with a different patient:

PATIENT
[talking very very quickly]
I'm just super anxious and stressed out all the time. And little things will freak me out. I'm SO stressed out, I can't handle it. Like I was supposed to receive a package the other day, and they delivered it to the wrong apartment! And even though I got it, I was so frustrated, I broke down and started crying. Over a package! And then my boyfriend - even though I'm pretty sure I love him - I'll yell at him over stupid things, like him leaving the toilet seat up! Agh, just thinking about it is stressing me out!

PRECEPTOR
Would these things have bothered you two years ago?

PATIENT
I don't think so?

PRECEPTOR
Well, no offense, but I think you need a chill pill. Literally. Let's write you a prescription.