Sunday, January 10, 2010

Heartbreak warfare

Martin's in gorgeous NYC for interviews and Second Looks - and he finally had an afternoon free to go see and do touristy things. Best thing about the boy? He sends me pictures every now and then, so it's almost like I'm there with him. (But let's be honest, I only care because it's NYC...I could care less about St. Louis, Missouri. Sorry WashU. Don't tell him that, though.)

Anyways, sometimes he sends me pictures of Elmo...

Sometimes he sends me pictures of what he's eating...

(The white pizza was for me! Though it somehow got lost in his stomach before he could bring it back for me. Hmm.)

Sometimes he sends me pictures of friends he's run into. (Hi Omar!)


And sometimes he sends me pictures of things he thinks my dad (as an architect) would like...


And then sometimes, he sends me pictures of things that are meaningful - pure and simple.

As part of his excursion today, Martin went to go see the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. And among the In Memoriam wall and Love Lives Here collage and the sculpture of Lady Liberty bleeding with 9/11 knickknacks, there was this - a transcribed voicemail from a man to his wife moments before the crash.

(Click to view larger picture.)

It absolutely broke my heart.