Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Baby makes three

I stared at the pregnancy test. "Heidi - is it just me, or is there a line there?" The indicator line was super dark indicating that the test was working, but there was a faint line next to the YES. I swear I wasn't imagining it, but I was trying to will it into existence, too.

I had just spent thirty minutes with a couple going over the preconception talk. They were super cute, wondering what strategies there were to get pregnant faster, or what diets they should both be on for super fertility. At the end of it all, I asked her when her last menstrual period was. Um, February 5th? I stared at her.

ME
Do you remember how long your cycles were before you started the pill?

WIFE
Um, I think I was pretty normal...like 26 to 28 days maybe?

HUSBAND
[putting the pieces together, eyes bugging out]
Do you think we're pregnant?!!?

WIFE

But! That's not possible is it?! I've only been off the pill for a month!

ME
Well, how are you feeling?

WIFE
Well...I think I have a cold - I've been feeling really crampy and I have some abdominal pain....OHMYGODDOYOUTHINKI'MPREGNANT?!

ME
Well, since you're here, why don't we go ahead and do a pregnancy test? Did you leave a urine sample?

WIFE
Yes. Yes I did!

I excused myself and went to go squirt some of her urine onto the pregnancy test card. And here we were, with a faint barely discernible line. I called over my preceptor who looked at the card and told me I wasn't imagining anything. The pregnancy test was positive. She walked over to the conference room where the couple was waiting. But halfway there, she turned around. Wait - you should do the honors! I stopped in my tracks, flabbergasted. Go on. Go tell them they're pregnant!

So I went. And I told them. And they didn't believe me for five minutes, repeatedly asking me if I was just joking, and if I knew what a horrible joke this was. I promised them that I wasn't lying, but to be sure, we wanted to do a blood test. They looked at each other, grinning and internally freaking out. The wife got up to follow me to the lab. And then the husband stopped her, turning to me to ask, "um, would it be weird if you gave us five minutes to process this first?" I smiled and left the room, closing the door behind me. The door had barely clicked closed when they started screaming and yelling. I had no doubt that behind that door they were jumping up and down.

It was exhilarating. It was amazing. And it was so so joyful.

PS I don't want to be pregnant. But I love seeing other people who want to be pregnant, find out that they are.