Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Oh, she's just being Miley!

Apparently smiling is not allowed on surgery. That, or surgery is going to beat the smiles off my face.

What can I say, I'm a smiley person. The original s'Miley Cyrus, if you may. So on my first day on surgery, I walked up to my assigned ENT attending, smiled, and introduced myself.

ME
Hello sir. Dr. Shah? I'm Michelle, your third year med student.

DR. SHAH*
[never making eye contact, and muttering all of this under his breath]
Okay okay that's fine. Just stand over there. We don't have any patients yet.

I nodded and pulled out my Surgery Recall book to peruse. I saw an empty chair and sank down into it. Heels, after all, are no walk in the park.

DR. SHAH
[still not making eye contact, and still muttering - to the point that I'm not sure if he's talking to himself or addressing me]
No no, students don't get to sit. Chairs are for attendings. Walls are for students.

I jumped up, making way for the invisible attending that was to sit in that chair. Or the three other empty chairs nearby.

I eventually got my first patient, did a crappy H&P job (seriously, what questions are you supposed to ask beyond how are your ears/nose/throat?), and went with the patient to the mini sinus CT scanner.

The scan finished and I went to go find Dr. Shah.

ME
[smiling per usual]
Oh, Dr. Shah? The scan's done.

DR. SHAH
And what did it show?

ME
[smiling still but nervously now, because I've never read a CT scan on my own in my life]
Um. There was a patent airway, nasal and orbital bones were intact --

DR. SHAH
[cutting me off]
Don't give me that A-B-C crap you learn on medicine. What were the pertinent findings?

ME
Haha, um --

DR. SHAH
Why are you laughing? This isn't funny. Be a doctor and tell me what was important.

ME
[no longer smiling]
I believe there is some residual mucus in the sinuses

DR. SHAH
Which one? ALL of them? Just one? Damn it, use medical terminology.

ME
Um, I believe it's not the maxillary or frontal or sphenoid ones.

DR. SHAH
So it's the ethmoid sinuses. I didn't realize we were playing a game of 'not this but that.'

ME
I'm sorry sir.

DR. SHAH
You should be. Don't waste my time.

Needless to say, I didn't smile the rest of the day, for fear of being yelled at. It's going to be a long three months.

* Not his real name, of course. Because he hates me. And smiling.