Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I honestly had the best intentions

I've been sick for the past few days, and today I woke up feeling worse than ever. My throat was scratchy, I could barely breathe because of my stuffy nose, and the moment I stood up, I almost blacked out from my headache and dizziness.

But even though I had a temperature of 101.2F, I had to get to work. I had a family meeting to facilitate, a patient to discharge, and a conservatorship application to file. So I popped some sudafed and tylenol, got in the shower, banged my head on the showerhead, and got ready to drive to work. 

I got in my car, turned my key, heard one loud click, and then nothing. No engine turning over. It didn't even have the decency to try.

It worked perfectly yesterday. I got myself to work and back without incident. I didn't leave any lights on accidentally, didn't accidentally have the engine running all night. 

So long story short, I didn't go to work today. Instead, I sat in my car, waited for AAA to come get me out of my jam, and called my attending to tell her that hey, both me and my car are sick, so we can't get to work today, mmkay?

Worst yet, Martin came home twenty minutes later...and he has all the same symptoms I have, on a two day delay.