Sunday, December 25, 2005

My first post

Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight
Wish I may, wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight.

As a child, I used to believe that wishing on falling stars really worked. Every night, I'd squeeze my eyes shut and scrunch up my face so tightly it felt as though my eyes, nose, and mouth were all connected, and then quickly, in the quietest whisper an eight-year-old could muster, I'd make my wish. I wish that Travis Trevor will pick me for his dodgeball team. I wish I can have a birthday party - complete with unicorns and pink tutus. I wish that I can be just as cool as my older sister. I never cheated. It was always one wish per star...and I never wished for more falling stars.

I didn't really know what shooting stars looked like. I just assumed that they were bright lights in the sky that tumbled to the horizon when they just got tired of sitting up there. It didn't seem strange to me that these lights never actually shot across the night, but rather, blinking white and red, moved deliberately, purposefully.

I was wishing on planes and satellites.


I'm a lot older now and I don't wish on stars any more. But every now and then, if I happen to glance up and see a satellite, twinkling reassuring down at me, my lips will start to move, murmuring my deepest and darkest secret desires.


...let's find out if wishing on satellites just might work.