Monday, September 25, 2006

Stupid girls

Oh my god. I just got faced.

Only my die-hard Sex and the City fans will know what I'm talking about. How when Carrie met Nina Katz, the talent scout, Nina made a face like she had just smelled sour milk, and went Eeeeeesh! along with it. Just cause Nina was dating Carrie's old boyfriend, and knew all about the ex-files.

Yes.

I just got faced.

I was the official greeter for a faculty-student mixer tonight. Not doing anything particularly out of the ordinary. Just sitting there. Writing names and drawing happy faces on Hello, my name is... stickies. My welcomes were robotic. Overly cheery. Then, I looked up and recognized a girl from class, with a friend.

"Oh hi! Here for the dinner?" came my automatic reply.
"Hey Michelle...yup!" responded my friend, equally cheery.
"Okay, just write your name --" I responded, following the script I'd been given to the T.
"Michelle?" said the other girl, questioning.
"Yes?"
"Wait...Michelle from Northwestern?"
"...yes?"
"Oh, do you know..."

As soon as I replied in the affirmative, she gave me The Face. Like I had just boiled babies and eaten them for dinner alongside my pad thai.

Turns out that while I had been the spring fling, she had been the summer fling. Mind you, it didn't work out for her either. But somehow, some way, instead of the boy taking the blame, I was the one who was the tease who ruined him for all future relationships.

In my defense, he was already damaged goods. I didn't do anything.

I shouldn't let it get to me. Really. Who cares what he thinks? Who cares what he's saying? He was just a fling. And we all know flings are bad news. But, the thing is - I've kept my mouth shut about him. You'd think - no, you'd wish - that he'd keep his mouth shut too. I mean, whatever happened to kissing and not telling?

Honestly.