Thursday, February 08, 2007

How to save a life

My big test is tomorrow, and I've been studying for the past decade and a half for it. Naturally, I get the munchies whenever I study for hours at a time, and I've been snacking on Twizzlers like it's candy (cause it is). I went through half a bag in just one day. And by bag I mean one of those huge honking family-sized-if-you-mean-the-entire-extended-family-sized bags.

So now I'm doing practice questions and lo and behold, a question on licorice.

Licorice contains high concentrations of glycyrrhizic acid. Sufficient amounts of this chemical will be ingested through the daily consumption of two licorice sticks over a period of one to four weeks to cause the following systemic effects:
- marked reduction in circulating plasma renin levels.
- marked increase in renal aldosterone sensitivity.
- hypokalemia resulting from K+ diuresis.
- hypertension.

It goes on to ask about the cause of hypertension, but I'm still kinda stuck on all the bad things licorice is doing to my body at this exact moment. I'm clearly going to die. From licorice overdose.

Update from ten minutes later: I just ate another 5 sticks unconsciously as I was taking my practice test. Clearly, I'll never learn.