Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A ghost of a chance

There's been a lot of talk of The Future in recent days. Fourth year med school friends have all finished interviewing, and are now deciding their final rank lists. Third year med school friends all now have a pretty good grip on what they want to do for the rest of their lives. And for me and my fellow second year classmates, well, we have that gigantic test coming up in a couple of months.

This is usually where I would start panic-attacking in prose about said test, but I'm gonna take a little breather and skip over that part.

[Inhale deeply, grab a brown bag and hyperventilate.]

Now, why is this exam so important? After all Michelle, you pretty much know what specialty you want to go into. So why does it matter where you end up, as long as you're doing what you love?

Because it matters.

And here's where I let you in on a little known secret. I tell people that I want to go back to California. It is my dream to go back back to Cali Cali, where the sun is always shining and the people are always smiling.

That's already a pretty big dream. California.

That's why I never tell anyone that I would be beyond happy to end up in New York too.

It doesn't make any sense, really. The weather is terrible, the sun's blocked out by buildings, and no one smiles. But I spent one glorious week there, and fell in love.

(see the rest of the I LEGO N.Y. series here)

California is already too much to dream for. To wish for New York too would just be greedy.

So there it is. Can't think it, really. Can't wish it, really. Gotta just bottle it up and throw it in the ocean. Or Lake Michigan.

Besides, I don't time to fantasize about where I'm gonna be in a little over two years. I've got that big test coming up, and this girl's gotta focus. It's just me, and a big pile of books.