Thursday, January 08, 2009

One step at a time

It's almost 2am, and I'm wide awake.

Mind you, thanks to my jet lag or mono or anemia, I've fallen asleep at 9pm for the past week, and now here I am tonight. Wide awake. My pulse is racing, my brain's on overdrive, and I'm lying here, silently freaking out.

Tonight, I scheduled my testing date for the United States Medical Licensing Exam STEP 1.

See? Even the name sounds intimidating.

Forget anatomy and sensitive physical exam skills. Forget the pomp and circumstance of the white coat ceremony. THIS is the initiation into medicine.

This one exam will determine where I end up for residency. My specialty. This one exam is going to make or break me.

And I can't fall asleep because I'm so worried it's gonna be the latter.

June 23rd is looming. Eight hours. One test. And the rest of my life.