Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Childhood dreams

My parents had an architectural design dinner thing to go to that night. And I was not pleased.

"But I have art class!! And today is important! I finally get to use paint!!!" It was my fifth class of the semester at the local community center, and my fruit bowl was finally going to come to life with bright reds and greens and yellows, and now my mom was telling me that I would have to skip today.

"We could drop you off, but how would you get home?"

"This is SO unfair! Tiffany never has to miss her ballet classes!" Rule #5438 for all middle children: always allude to Middle Child Syndrome when possible.

"Well Tiffany doesn't have ballet on nights when Mom and Dad have to go out."

I stomped off at that point to go fume and vent to my stuffed animals in my room.

Five minutes later, my mom knocked on my door and told me to get dressed. "You can go to art class."

"REALLY?!"

"Yes."

"Seriously?!"

"Are you going to get dressed?"

"Yay!!!!"


And with that, I bounced off my bed and started changing out of my pajamas and into something more paint-splatter friendly.

It turns out that my grandpa had been listening to my mom and me "discuss" art class. After I left, he suggested that he could go with me, so that he could walk me home.

It was a two hour art class. And my grandpa sat there with me, offering tips on paint colors and nodding off at times. And then when it was all over, we walked home, hand in paint-splattered hand. It took us three hours to get there, but it was worth it. Because I got to paint and get all messy, and my grandpa was now the proud owner of my masterpiece "Two apples and a purple pear for grandpa by michelle."

"I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
but I know you're not scared of anything at all.
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away,
but I know I had the best day with you today."
The Best Day - Taylor Swift