Wednesday, October 13, 2010

You're looking at me

After 15 months of being on the wards, I think I've become rather good at schmoozing. I know how to be a team player. I know how to keep rounds serious, but fun. And I know how to make my residents and attendings like me.*

Until now.

I swear my attending hates me. He doesn't smile when I crack jokes during my presentations. He doesn't give me any feedback whatsoever. But every time I look up, he's staring at me. Disapprovingly.

I dunno if any of you read Sister Carrie in high school or beyond, but she gets her big breakout role as an actress for standing in the back of the play, looking on in consternation. Disapprovement.

And that is the look my attending gives me. Without fail. Every second of every moment of every minute of rounds. It's uncomfortable. And it's intimidating. I almost want to stop in the middle of my presentation to ask him to please stop, but I can't imagine that could possibly go over well.

It doesn't make any sense at all. My attending's young (and supposedly hip) - and we should be having a grand ol' time on rounds. He used to be a resident just 3 months ago. And a med student just three years before that. So why the dour faces? Why the stoic expressions? Why does he hate me?!!?

Two more weeks. Two more weeks.


*True there was that one terrible month of surgery, but I like to pretend that whole month was just a really bad dream.