Sunday, November 28, 2010

The only exception

I don't quite know what to think.

I interviewed at a pretty prestigious program recently, and man, I was super intimidated by all the Ivy Leaguers in attendance. Because let's face it - for all that the Northwestern faculty says about Northwestern's name getting us places, it really doesn't amount to much.

So yes, I'll admit it - I was going in with a major inferiority complex. Then, during one interview with an attending, he basically told me that my scores and resume were crap, and I was not the typical applicant they usually interview. Cue total and complete deflation of ego. However, he continued, my personal statement was so well written, the committee is convinced that I'm going to write a book at some point in my career, and they would like for it to say that I went to Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and trained at [insert their program name here]. In fact, the attending basically promised me a book deal if I were to do residency there, even though I'm pretty sure he has no say over in the literary world, no matter how much of a hotshot psychiatrist he is.

So does that mean they want me? Or they don't? Or that it's all contingent on me securing a book deal within the next 3 months?