Thursday, January 27, 2011

Skidamarink a dinky dink

There's always been a lot of buzz about the movies coming out of the Sundance Film Festival. Last year, it was all about Blue Valentine. And this year, there are probably some really cute indie romantic dramedies coming our way too (apparently Like Crazy has audiences going, well, like crazy, over it). But the movie that I'm most looking forward to seeing? Being Elmo.

It astounds me that Kevin Clash - a tall, deep-voiced African American man - is the voice of Elmo. He looks like he could belong on the gridiron on Monday nights, yet he's apparently also the voice of our favorite monster on Sesame Street. And he does it so well. I am amazed that he hasn't become a bigger celebrity. After all, Elmo has become the most famous of the Sesame Street gang, but this may be the first time I've ever heard of Kevin Clash. When we think of Elmo, we don't think of Kevin Clash, we think Elmo. Which just goes to show that Mr. Clash has done his puppeteer duties perfectly. Elmo has become his own entity. Even in the video embedded below, where you can clearly see Mr. Clash speaking as Elmo - I still gravitate directly to Elmo.  Elmo is so clearly his own little being. Belief, suspended. A cute little red monster full of love who always speaks in the third person. "Elmo can see her!" Elmo makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.



I really do love Elmo. Elmo is love, people, Elmo is love.

And this will always be my most favorite Elmo video ever.