Thursday, March 02, 2006

This post brought to you by Still Awkward

To what lengths will you go to avoid something?

I was walking home from class a few minutes ago...and lo and behold. My ex-boyfriend. Now, given that our last encounter was especially awkward, I was determined to be classy this time around. I even had sufficient time to plan out what I was going to say to him. Hey. I hear you got into Vanderbilt and John Hopkins. Congratulations! However will you choose? Smile firmly in place, I resisted the urge to run away, and continued walking towards him.

Now here is where you need to know that I have a very distinct cream-colored down jacket. I'm not one of those girls who wears a North Face fleece. I have a one-of-a-kind jacket...and paired with my very bright pink scarf and retro earmuffs that have so much metal I could be Sprint’s walking service tower, you can tell who I am from a mile away.

Have you ever noticed that the walk leading up to the confrontation is probably the most awkward part? I suddenly became very aware of my arms swinging back and forth, and the moment I tried to make my monkey arms look more graceful, I proceeded to stumble and look like the klutz I am (but am always trying to hide). I was suddenly very conscious of my unkempt appearance (I had a final today - when it comes down to sleep and getting cutesified, sleep will always always win out). Long story short, I was very aware of my not-how-I-want-my-ex-boyfriends-to-remember-me-by look that the fashion industry won’t be reviving anytime soon. But I was determined to be cool, so I tugged on my jacket and prepped myself to get ready for the, well - meeting. 10 seconds til contact...9...8...

And then suddenly he jumped the hedge lining the path. Jumped completely out of eye contact range. Jumped right out of my perfect we-can-be-friends-really scenario.

Blink.

Blink blink.

And I stood there. Shocked that he would go to such lengths to avoid me. Amazed that he had just managed to scale a row of large bushes. Bemused that he didn’t think I could see him. I mean, really, I was right in front of him and he knew I was right there; there’s no way I could have not seen that evasive manuever. Seriously.

So much for that. Although I will admit I was a tad relieved I wouldn't have to talk to him today, I'm still a bit bewildered that he jumped a hedge. A hedge people! A row of tall bushes! Just so he wouldn't have to talk to me. Wow.

It would only happen to me.

Blink.