Tuesday, February 28, 2006

All jacked up

You know how when you're craving something, you just can't stop thinking about it? Everywhere you go, everywhere you look, it's taunting you. An insipid Mandy Moore song lyric - yeah, I wanna be with you too - whoever my you may be. A billboard advertising those super cute swimsuits from Urban Outfitters that you a) can't afford and b) need to drop ten pounds for, before you can even think about trying it on. Random flyers advertising finding true love on an ASB trip.

Or, in my case, a vending machine.

If you recall, I gave up soda-guzzling for my new year's resolution. And minus one 2am trip to the Wendy's drive-thru where I got a kid's meal with a Coke that was more ice than soda, I've been bubbles-free. But it's finals season, and my body knows it. I used to drink at least two cans of soda a day. It's pathetic, but I'll admit that it's kinda what kept me going. Who needs true love when you can have a Cherry Coke? So, every now and then, I'll get this huge craving for a can of soda. Fanta. Cherry Coke. Sprite. Root beer. Especially when I'm stressed. It's almost like it's my drug, and I NEED to get high. Now.

But I've been good.

And then Coke has to go and create those commercials that have me jonesing for just a sip. I mean, really. The commercial with the hot guy dancing around to I like the way you move? Or the other commercial - red and white - while you're watching this commercial, someone is grabbing a Coke from the fridge. Thirsty? and I throw my pillow at the screen, yelling yes, taking a huge sip of water which is just NOT the same. But today, I faced the ultimate test.

After watching TV and seeing the hot Coke guy dance around nine times in a two-hour block (yes, I counted), I went and studied in Tech Express. Quiet enough that I can actually read, but busy enough that I won't be tempted to take a nap, it's the optimal place to study. Minus the six - count them, six! - vending machines, each emblazoned with a different drink and splashes of water, reminding me how refreshing it would be to buy one. And I was so sleepy; I needed that perfect boost of sugar and caffeine.

I attempted to study...but every 5 minutes or so, my mind would wander and I'd find myself gazing longingly at the vending machines. Yes, I probably looked like a crazy woman - but this is what happens when you've been addicted to something for the past fifteen years and suddenly decide to stop cold turkey. My brain convinced me that I needed something. Afterall, it was 5:30pm and I hadn't eaten lunch. If I don't get a drink, I might just fall over from the lack of glucose in my body, I told myself. So I walk over, student ID in hand, and stare at the plethora of choices.

Code Red. Pepsi. Cherry Pepsi. Diet Cherry Pepsi. Nestea. (that's just tea, that wouldn't count would it? Eh, I never really liked it anyhow.) Coke. Coke. Coke.

I had exactly $1.49 on my card. Just enough for one laundry wash. Or perfect for a coke.

And then suddenly I turned to the candy machine, and before I knew what I was doing, I was punching in the code for E4. One bag of Skittles. 90 cents. Enter.

Wait! Coke! I need a COKE! Cancel!!! Where's the cancel button!?!

And I started punching the machine hoping to get it to change its mind and just spit my money back out. But it was too late. E4 had already started turning. I was gonna have to settle for just a sugar rush.

So after my bag of Skittles dropped, I dejectedly bent down to retrieve my "lunch" and then the greatest thing happened. I realized that E4 was STILL turning. I apparently was the 100th buyer. I was going to get twice as much for my money. I was going to get two bags of Skittles.

I like to think that it was the fates' way of rewarding me for sticking to my resolution. True, I didn't get my Coke. But I got two - count them - two bags of Skittles!

Bubbles-free since January thirteenth. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Hi, I'm Michelle. And I'm a soda-holic.