Thursday, February 02, 2006

On the line (for your love)*

While I am a die-hard romantic (see previous post), I've never believed in love at first sight. It's not that I have really high standards; it's just, seriously, no one is so ridiculously good looking that I will fall completely in love with just their looks. Personality is huge for me. So, I've always scoffed at the idea that some enchanted evening [cue song], I would meet a perfect stranger - that somehow our eyes would meet across a crowded room, and in that glance we'd exchange all of our thoughts and feelings as we'd realize that there was something there.

Pop songs, while infectious and wildly entertaining for spontaneous dance parties, are pure fluff. I always thought that the lyrics were ridiculously and overly romanticized - I mean, come on *NSYNC (or whoever penned their songs), do you really think that God spent a little more time on one person, and somehow you're so lucky that this person (whom God spent a little more time on) loves your lowly self? I mean. Seriously. The only people who can actually claim that are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. That's it.

But ladies and gentlemen, after this past weekend, I'm a believer. Late Sunday night, I hopped on the very busy Red Line to go home. After the club-hopping crowd was dropped off at Belmont, I was able to snag myself a seat. Now, since I can't read in moving vehicles without getting a headache, I stared out the window. But it was so dark by that time that all I could see was the reflection of the El train. And lo and behold. In front of me was a dark-haired boy with green eyes (green eyes!!!), contemplating life as he tried to write lyrics to a song - guitar case close by. Now I don't know what exactly made me so attracted to him. I promise he was no Brad Pitt. But as I stared, blatantly, he too looked out the window, into the reflective glass, and in that reflection, we shared a glance.

I wish I could tell you that lightning struck and time slowed down during that glance. But no. The doors still opened on the left at Addison. I had absolutely no idea what he was thinking. And I'm sure he had no idea what I was thinking (or he surely would have ran away), but I conjured up the best eye-flirt I could manage. (Actually, I was attempting a much stronger/sexier f-word there with my eyes, but I'm trying to keep this a kid-friendly blog.) But he didn't turn around and start a deeply intimate conversation with me. Quite the opposite happened in fact. He stayed where he was and instead, gave me a weirded-out half-smile.

Completely and utterly embarrassed that I had allowed myself to be so open with a complete stranger, I tried to melt into my seat. But even given the response, that little exchange on the El convinced me that I actually am a believer in love at first sight. Even if it's totally one-sided.

Granted, I might just be completely optimistic because when he got off at Howard, as he shrugged on his jacket, he winked at me. It happened so fast, I'm still not quite convinced that his eyes weren't just spasming. Maybe it was just a sudden twitch. Whatever it was, it was oh-so-romantic. Who knew that dark hair and green eyes could be such a potent combination?



*I cribbed the title of this post from the theme song of the truly regrettable Lance Bass movie. If you don't know the reference, trust me - you're very lucky. His acting is as bad as his ability to go into space.