Sunday, February 05, 2006

This post brought to you by Random

I really have a knack for picking them, don't I? I blogged about my most recent ex-boyfriend a couple of weeks ago, and now - something about another boyfriend.

Like I said, I don't keep in touch with ex-boyfriends. I don't feel like I need to, and truthfully, I really don't want to. We broke up for a reason. I've never understood the "let's be friends" line. You can't do the friendship thing with someone you have a history with. It's just impossible. The friendship can't help but be tainted by the reason why you guys broke up.

So a couple of nights ago, I was very surprised to receive an email from my first boyfriend - whom I haven't talked to in decades (okay, make that 3 years...because clearly I'm only a little over two decades old). Now, occasionally I'll still get the requisite mass email for a holiday get-together, because clearly, it would be more awkward for him to not invite me. But this one was different. It was an individualized, personalized email.

I sat at my computer wide-eyed and open-mouthed for about five minutes, mustering up my courage to read an email that was innocuously titled: hi Michelle =).

The email was quite a read. I actually laughed out loud at the opening, when he claimed that he was only writing to me because he was completely trashed since he'd been out all night...and then truthfully retracted that sentence. Turns out he had actually studied all night and his studies were what prompted him to write me. And then came the shocker - he apologized (for what, I still don't know) and hoped that we could give the friendship thing another go.

I then sat at my computer wide-eyed and open-mouthed for another five minutes, my over-analytical mind trying to decode and second-guess everything in the email. I hastily closed my inbox, and signed on to AIM, to get my girlfriends to over-analyze with me.

Girlfriend 1: Don't email him back right away; you'll seem over-eager!
Girlfriend 2: Yeah! Wait a couple of days!
Girlfriend 3: No! He's vulnerable. Give it a couple of hours and then email him back.
Me: What should I say?!
Girlfriend 2: That you want to be friends...and then offer to meet up for coffee.
Girlfriend 1: HOW AWKWARD. Don't do that! Say that you agree you guys should meet up more...and then don't offer up an opportunity.
Girlfriend 3: Say you want to be friends. Be nice!
Me: I'm always nice!
All girlfriends: ...right.
[5 minutes later]
Girlfriend 1: I wonder what he's studying that made him think of you.

I wrote three different replies and couldn't send any of them. Luckily, later that day, I talked with one of my close guy friends who happens to be in the same class as my ex-boyfriend. After I told him the story, I had him proof my most recent draft.

Me: Well?
Platonic guy friend: Well, it's appropriately vague, but still friendly and personable. Although, I would take out the winky face at the end of the second paragraph. It's too suggestive.
Me: Okay.
Platonic guy friend: Send it. Do it now before you chicken out again.
[I hit the send button and start breathing again.]
Me: Well, there's that.

[Five minutes later]

Me: By the way, what are you guys studying?
Platonic guy friend: Renal functioning.