Monday, September 15, 2008

Manic monday

I tried to be a good person today. Key word being "tried."

Today, on my mad dash to school, I saw a doctor crossing the street in front of me. Illegally. So as he tried to outrun the multitude of taxis and buses coming down the street, I watched helplessly as he dropped his hospital badge.

"Sir! Sir!! Excuse me! Sir!! You dropped your badge!!" I yelled, like a crazy woman.

But with all the traffic now in between us, he didn't hear me. Instead, he took off for the hospital, minus one very important ID badge.

So as I crossed the street, I picked it up. Frank Dorian, M.D. Surgery fellow.

I ran after him, trying to make up the now 3 blocks between us. It didn't help that I was in uncomfortable heels, and carrying half a dozen things - stethoscope, white coat, reflex hammer, computer, phone. Like I said, I was running behind that morning.

I swear I walk pretty quickly, but he must have been sprinting, because slowly but surely, the gap between us got wider and wider.

By this time, I realized there was no way I would catch him. And I started to freak out. If I took it to class and then gave it to him later (at noon), would it be okay? He's a surgeon! He needs his badge to access his ORs! Maybe he can send one of his hapless med student lemmings to come get it from me. It was almost insane how much I was over-analyzing the situation and trying to figure out what would have the best outcome. I almost felt like I had to make sure his badge ended up in the right hands. Dr. Dorian's hands, preferably.

So my good Samaritan heart decided to drop off his badge with the baristas at the hospital's Starbucks, and then I would page him from class to let him know where to find it. That way I would only be five minutes late to class, and he could still get his badge as soon as he wanted.

What else could be better?

Then, as I was making my way to the hospital, I ran into my friend J, bleary-eyed and tired, who was heading home after a long night on call.

So long story short, J was a good person today. I merely tried to be. But hey, at least I got to class on time.