Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hot n cold

[all in Taiwanese, unless otherwise noted.]

Grandmother

What's wrong with you? Why aren't you eating?

Me
Because I feel nauseous. I think I have the flu.

Daddy
No I'm sure it's just a cold.

Me
No dude, I think it's the flu. I have fevers and chills and my body aches all over.

Grandmother
Then you should take some [random Taiwanese drug].

Me
[in English]
What's that?

Daddy
It's a really good antibiotic. It just came out.

Me
[in English]
If it's the flu, antibiotics won't help. I need an antiviral.

Daddy
Stop being so stubborn. Just take the medicine. I'm sure it'll help.

Me
[frustrated, in English]
Dad, it actually won't help. I have a virus, not a bacterial thing.

Grandmother
Well, then - what DO you want?

Me
I dunno. Tamiflu?

Grandmother
Oh my goodness. Who cares about Tammy when you're sick like this?!