Sunday, June 20, 2010

Young forever

ME
Hey Miss Brooke! I have your discharge papers! You ready to go home?

BROOKE
Mmhmm!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!

ME
Well, I will miss you - you have been the happiest and sweetest patient I have ever taken care of! Do you have any questions before I have to let you go?

BROOKE
Um, well, I've been a really good girl in the hospital. [pauses]

ME
[confused]
Um...why yeah! Yeah, you've been a great patient!

BROOKE
No, I know - So I got a lot of stickers from the doctors and nurses for being good and for not crying and not yelling. And they have sparkles! And they're smelly! But I'm not that sick, and there are kids in the hospital that are really sick. So...could you take these and give them to those kids?

She handed me a giant stack of stickers, and it just about broke my heart. It was so so so precious. I took the stickers, and dutifully gave them away as instructed. And she was right - she did have the best stickers, and the little girls I handed them to were ecstatic to plaster sparkly Disney princess stickers all over their hospital gowns.

I guess surgery isn't so bad when you're taking care of the cutest kids.