Monday, August 16, 2010

Love the way you lie

I haven't talked to J in more than 4 weeks.

But today I had a really stressful day, so I called him up. And even though he normally lets all of his calls go to voicemail, today, he surprisingly picked up right away. It's like he knew.

And the moment he said, hey, what's up?, I started bawling as I poured out everything that has gone wrong these past couple of days. All my self-esteem issues that are ridiculously amplified by the whole application process.

And instead of making fun of me and my hiccup-ridden conversation as he normally would have, he just reassured me. Told me that I would match. And that I would get great training no matter where I ended up - even if it was in Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Because even though I probably have had this exact same conversation more times than I can count, I just want to be reassured. Because there are times when the self-doubt and the what-if's overwhelm, and I drown in my worries. And that's when I need someone like J to pull me out of my pool of negativism, with a reassuring line or two.

Sigh. I miss my J&L dinners.