Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lend me some sugar, I am your neighbor

I would like to preface this post by mentioning that I am normally a very nice person. A little cynical and sarcastic at times, but genuinely nice nevertheless. With that in mind, I would like to announce to the world that my neighbor is a tool.

No, I don't really know what a tool or a douchebag is, but he embodies that description. He's inconsiderate and egotistical - and I got all of this just from listening to him through the walls.

My all hate-no love-affair started a couple of weeks ago. One morning, at 6am, I'm awoken by some background vibrations. He was blaring his bass - so powerful that it shook our mutual shared wall and knocked a book off my shelf and then promptly smacked me into consciousness. I've moved my books so they're nowhere near my head now, and as long as I'm asleep before he starts playing his music, I'm fine, cause I am amazing and can sleep through (mostly) anything.

But recently he's taken to playing his music (always very loudly, mind you) randomly for hour-long blocks during the day. It's always the same song. You'd think that the constant rhythmic bass would become somewhat lulling (is that a word?) after a while, but no, it makes the headache worse because you know how headaches pound (ie. I have a pounding headache)? My headache starts to pound TO the beat of the music. So I finally leave my room (something I realized I should have done earlier, but I'm an optimist - he'll turn it off after this song...Maybe after this song...Oh! - oh- maybe, oh, nope. Still going like the energizer bunny.) So I leave my room, but the bass stays with me. At first I thought that his music was just so loud that I could hear it from our living room. But then I realized that no, I was indeed just going crazy.

I've learned my lesson and start leaving my room as soon as his music starts. Which while not always constructive to my studying is absolutely necessary for my sanity. But then he upped it up a notch. He's learned the lyrics (well, I guess that was inevitable...you'll eventually learn the words to a song you listen to over and over and over) and will start singing along at top volume. Just like how American idol's worst auditions are amusing, it's funny at first, but then quickly turns PAINFUL. Imagine listening to the same bad singer continuously throughout the day. I don't know how William Hung sold as many records as he did.

I finally had enough. You'd think that the adult in me would have marched over to his suite and asked him to turn it down. But I'm just a girl who's a little scared of all frat boys. So I turned my puny little laptop speakers towards the wall and started blasting Brad Paisley's Wrapped Around Her Finger. Childish? Of course. But it felt SO good. Especially when my neighbor abruptly turned off his music, slamming his door as he left the building.

Revenge, my friends, is very sweet indeed.

Time to start learning opera songs. Just in case.