Wednesday, January 18, 2006

This post brought to you by Awkward

I haven't talked to my ex-boyfriend in a really long time. We see each other and either (a) start fiddling with books or jackets to avoid eye contact, (b) suddenly become completely absorbed with the surrounding trees, lake, and buildings that we don't see people coming in our direction, (c) look down and start reading every poster/announcement - even the ones that don't concern us at all - oh look, the Hillel group is having a dinner, I should really look into that, or (d) if we're feeling particularly magnanimous, we'll glance at each other and nod.

It really is amazing that I haven't run into him more this year. We live in the same dorm, but we've got avoiding each other down to an art. So imagine my surprise this morning, as I'm rushing to class, I skid to a halt as I realize he's two steps ahead of me. no problem, I think to myself, I'll just stay conveniently two steps behind and he'll never know. Well, who knew that he actually does enjoy looking around at nature on a normal basis, and not just when he sees me approaching? So he casually glances behind him and sees me. Cue total shock and surprise on his face. Which then quickly changes to an oh crap, what do I do? expression. I try to be cool and somehow my hand coordination works as I wave hello with a quizzical look. Yes, I was trying to be cute...going for the whole look what you're missing out on thing that ex-girlfriends are all guilty of when forced to interact with their ex for the first time.

Him: Hey.
Me: Hi. How's it going?
Him: Oh it's good...Applying to med school and all that.
Me: Oh yeah? Don't worry about it, you're going to be a hit with the interviewers.
Him: Aw, thanks. Headed to class?
Me: Yup. Guess you're my walking buddy today.
Him: I feel so honored.

Except that didn't happen.

How nice would it have been if we, two young adults - graduating seniors! - could have had a normal conversation. What really happened was this:

Him: Hey.
Me: [Wave hello because for some odd reason my mouth and vocal cords aren't functioning]
Him: 'sup. (Which is actually really hilarious because he's a total prim and proper Caucasian boy, and he said it all hustle and flow-like.)
Me: [Shrug and shake my head to convey not much]
Him: [With no warning or parting sentiment, takes off sprinting to class]

Now mind you - we were not going to be late for class; there was plenty of time. And guys don't normally take off running after talking to me. I was absolutely flabbergasted. It was almost sitcom-ish the way it happened. I mean, honestly. Who runs away from their ex?

And after I got to class, took out my lecture slides, and started to take notes, I almost laughed out loud over how coincidental this whole morning was. See, today is January 18th. If we were still together, we'd be celebrating our one-year anniversary today.