Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Something to talk about

Talk about awkward.

There's something inherently weird with calling up spring flings and asking for favors. Especially when you've only called them up before to make idle chitchat before the inevitable 'let's hang out' euphemism. And the only favors you've wanted were of the kissable variety.

Hey, don't judge. It was spring quarter. And I was graduating.

And girls just wanna have fun.

Graduation came and went. We both started working, and then I started school. And we never called each other after Senior Formal. Minus a couple drunk online conversations here and there, we started living our own lives. We lost touch. But it wasn't just understandable, it was kind of expected.

Today, I had a slight dilemma.

I needed to get in contact with an undergrad organization who was co-planning an event with the med school. Even after emailing countless times and trying dorm phone numbers, I just couldn't track them down. Then I remembered. That organization? My spring fling was heavily involved with it back in the day.

So I called him up.

Ring ring ring.

Ring ring ring.

And just as I was about to convince myself that he was screening my call, he picked up.

Whoaaa -- hey!!

Strangely, our conversation wasn't awkward at all. There was no resentment, no pregnant pauses, no "yeah, uh, I meant to call, but --" kinda statements. I got exactly what I needed.

Which was the phone number of his ex-girlfriend.

Moral of the story? If you're gonna have a spring fling, have a spring fling with someone with connections. And stay friendly. You never know when he just might come in handy.