Thursday, June 30, 2011

Don't know nothing

The inpatient psych hospital is located on Hellman Ave. God, please don't let that be foreshadowing.

The higher-ups in our psych department apparently decided that it would be best if everyone was paired with someone else on each rotation. Makes sense. You don't want to be the lone psych resident on pediatrics. Or in the neuro ICU. Especially in the neuro ICU. So having a friendly face roaming the halls, to wave to while rounding with the other team? It's good for support, and it's good for morale. And it's good to have someone to run to when you're not quite sure if your patient is floridly psychotic or delirious, sun-downing, and just plain old old. Because even though I'm basically just a glorified fourth year med student, people seem to expect that we know everything psychiatry. So yes. Co-interns on the same rotation? That rocks.

Max is my partner in crime.

It's just...those same upper-ups decided that we would have the same co-intern for the entire year. For every rotation. For every month. You can imagine how horrified I was when I found out about this plan. I mean, it could be bad. Really bad.

Luckily for me, Max seems like a pretty awesome person. He's laid back, funny, and just a little bit clueless. All right, fine. He's a lot bit clueless.

Case in point, we had drinks with the attending who interviewed us during our departmental happy hour -- 

ATTENDING
I'm so glad that the two students I recruited ended up coming to our program!!

MAX
You mean you actually wanted us? And we weren't just one spot above scrambles?

ATTENDING
Of course! I mean, I figured it'd be better to have you two yoohoos than some random unknowns that I've never met in my life.

ME
That makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside!

ATTENDING
But you guys have to know that I kinda have a bad reputation with the admissions committee. So you guys need to do well for me, okay? Show them that I picked some real gems this year.

MAX
What do you mean, bad reputation??

ATTENDING
Well, the last two years, the two people I'd recruited are no longer with the program. They moved on, if you will.

MAX
[genuine horror]
Oh my god! Your residents died?!?!?!

Like I said, I think it's going to be pretty entertaining. So here we go. Three months of being on the psychiatry inpatient wards. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't end up needing a 5150 of my own.