Thursday, September 29, 2011

My reward for my awesome parallel parking job

I've gotten pretty good at driving recently. I can back into spots, maneuver around sharp turns, squeeze in between buses, drive over 70mph, and -- drumroll please -- I can even parallel park now.

I know. Shock. Gasp. Awe.

I'm an Asian girl...who can parallel park? But that's impossible, right?

But I can. And I did. Today, on my way to have coffee with an old friend (and I mean old as in we've been friends since middle school, not old as in my mother telling me I need to have children old), right across from the cafe we were going to, I saw a woman pull out of her parking spot.

Super excited to have such a prime spot, I parallel parked my way in, and paid my dollar an hour in quarters for the meter.

I had a grand ol' time catching up and complaining about intern year with my friend, and then, when we came out, there it was.

A parking ticket.

Are you kidding me? I couldn't believe it. I had checked my watch, so I knew exactly when the meter was going to run out. We were well within my time limit!

Then I saw the same thing on all the other cars parked around me.

So I let myself hope for a good thirty seconds. Oh, maybe it's just a flyer. An advertisement that someone came by and put on all the cars!

But nope.

Here it was.

A real life parking ticket.

I mean, I kinda knew I was due for a ticket. Driving three months, speeding away and running late to things? Yeah, I knew my karmic chances were just about up.

But a parking ticket?

How lame is that? A ticket for not anything sexy, like speeding to get to the hospital or running a red light to catch a flight. Nope. I got a violation for parking.

Now, before you guys think it's cause I parked in two spaces, had boxed someone in, or was twenty-five inches from the curb -- no, none of that applies. My parking job was flawless. A nice six inches from the curb, and smack dab in between the lines. It was beautiful, and it was perfect.

No, my parking violation was for street cleaning.

STREET FREAKING CLEANING.

Sigh. Sixty-eight freaking dollars. Talk about the most expensive parking spot ever.