Thursday, September 01, 2011

Road rage regret

I've been driving for three months now, and I have never used my horn.

In fact, there have been a couple of horn-deserving moments when cars have cut me off and I almost crashed into a wall, and I would have used my horn if I knew where it was. The first time, I sat there punching the middle of my steering wheel for a good thirty seconds, before I realized that the horn button was off-center, but by that time, the offending driver had cut off three other drivers and had driven off into the smoggy sunset. Long story short, it wasn't worth it.

Today, I used my horn.

I left a good ten minutes late for work, and I was feeling guilty since I'm the one who's supposed to relieve night float, and I knew I was going to be very late. So as I sat in the RIGHT TURN ONLY lane at a red light waiting for the car in front of me to go, I finally did it.

There were no pedestrians, no oncoming traffic, and yet, this car just kept sitting there. Sitting there, while I had places to get to, and night floaters to send home. Either he turn right, or move over so that people who wanted to, could.

So I laid on the horn.

That's when the driver rolled down his window, pointed to the giant "NO TURN ON RED" sign, and then flicked me off.

Oops.