Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Don't ask me how I knew it was used

Why does this keep happening?

Yesterday night, I was the overnight intern on call. I finished up my admission at 2am, and then quickly ran over to the call room so that I could take a quick nap before my next admission hit the floor. My call room was like it always is. Simple sheet and a pillow. I stole some blankets from the unit, made my bed, took out my contacts, and pulled the sheet aside to jump in.

Except.

There was something on my bed.

Plastic. And circular-ish.

Now, my glasses are not at full strength, because I rarely wear them and can't afford new lenses. So I leaned closer to take a better look. And then I leaned even closer.

And that's when I realized there was a used condom on my call room bed.

It might have been the smell that tipped me off.

Or maybe it's because I touched it and it was a strange mixture of crusty and slimy.  Yeah.

--
To those readers wondering about my first sentence, yes, something similar has happened to me before.