Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Trainwreck

I will readily admit that during the days leading up to a big unit exam, I tend to dress a little bit more sloppily. I've said it once, and I'll say it again - it is far more important to me to get an extra fifteen minutes of sleep, than it is for me to curl my hair. Granted, that said, I do still brush my hair and take showers and am generally somewhat presentable.

Besides that, there are mirrors in my elevators for me to do a final quick once-over before I step out into the world.

So I'm coming down the elevator, on my way to class, and it stops once at Floor 34. A pretty and stylish young Asian woman gets on. She's wearing stilettos, a nice cashmere wrap, and a pound and a half of foundation on her face, but is otherwise unremarkable. Until she looks me over in the elevator and remarks:

"Well, aren't you just a hundred different fashion tragedies today?"

I think I stuttered or sputtered or said something incoherent, because I was so taken aback and also very instantly self-conscious.

The doors opened up to the lobby, and she flounced out. And I took the time to re-examine myself in the mirror.

Yes, I was wearing white socks with my ballet flats, but I was on my way to the library, and it is essentially the frozen tundra there. True, I wasn't wearing any makeup, the part in my hair was a little haphazard, and I might subscribe to the comfort over beauty way of thinking, but I was certainly not so terrible that Tim Gunn needed to stage an intervention right then and there.

So anyways. The point of all this is that I'm a little speechless that people can be so horrible.

A friend who shall remain unnamed (because he is actually a wonderful person, and people would be quite taken aback to know that he is capable of such vitriol) said that I should have replied, "Well, you're only one tragedy, and that's your mom's and dad's."

Zing!