Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I'll just say goodnight, and I'll show myself to the door

Going into psychiatry, you know you're going to hear some crazy stories. That's part of the reason why I like asking people why they ended up in the field. Everyone has such great responses - whether it be memorable patients or memorable personal experiences. But I've only ever asked residents and attendings that question, so I've never really heard my fellow applicants' stories, even though that's one of the standard interview answers that we know we're required to give.

I recently had to participate in a duo interview. It was me and this other applicant (hence the "duo" part of the duo interview). Both of us simultaneously being interviewed by the chairman of the program. He quickly outlined how this was going to work. It was to be a conversation, so he wanted us to start off with some introductions and how we ended up sitting here in this chair, in this office, in this suit, and this particular moment in time. And then we'd go from there, he said.

Easy peasy.

I had gotten this question multiple times already, so I went into almost an autopilot mode. My name is Michelle. Born in Arizona. Moved to California when I was little. Essentially raised by my grandparents. Went to Northwestern for the HPME program. Yada yada yada.

It was the typical applicant response, and I knew it. But this was just fodder for further conversation, so I didn't think it mattered if I hadn't seen my first psychotic break patient by age 7.

I smiled, indicating that I was done, so then my fellow applicant started his story.

"So my parents are very religious, so I was born and raised basically in a LDS compound. I was homeschooled, forced to wear hideous clothing and eat very bland food, and every day I had to follow religious doctrines that I didn't necessarily believe in."

I was impressed. This was a story I wanted to hear. It was intriguing.

He continued. "So given all that, I ran away at age 15. And hitchhiked my way to Philadelphia where I busked to feed myself. "

Cue open gaping mouth amazement.

"Of course, that didn't lead to a whole lot of money, so I worked a series of very odd jobs as well. I was a ladies nylons traveling salesman at one point. But anyways, I ended up being a janitor in a mental health hospital, purely because it meant I could get out of the snow and wintry conditions at the time."

Cue realization that this guy is the next Lifetime movie special.

"After a few months of working there, the attending psychiatrist actually took an interest in me, and after hearing my story, instead of being impressed as I thought she would, she essentially yelled at me and asked me what I was doing with my life. And that really resonated with me. So I got my GED. And I applied - and got! - a full scholarship to a small community college. And from there I went to Temple University Med School. And you know, my experiences in the mental health institution always stuck with me. The psychiatrist's words always stuck with me. And so now I'm here. Where I will hopefully get great training, and I will be able to work in community psychiatry and help out the homeless, seeing as I used to be one of them."

He finished his story to complete silence. I didn't know whether to stand up and give him a standing ovation or to start slow clapping, that's how good his story was. I might have had tears in my eyes at the conclusion. And I wanted to know more. That's when I quickly realized that my application had basically been tossed out the window. I might as well not have been sitting there. Where was the door?, because I could let myself out. This program was definitely gonna take him over me.

I never stood a chance.