Saturday, August 13, 2011

My first death threat

A nurse paged me to her ward today, saying that a patient's husband wanted to talk to the doctor right away. I checked her chart. No consent form to speak to the husband. No way was I going to tell him anything.

ME
Hello?

MAN
[breathing heavily]
Yes.

ME
[after 30 seconds of silence]
Um, may I help you?

MAN
Who is this?

ME
This is Dr. Wu. Who is this?

MAN
I'm Mr. Smiths. You're holding my wife there illegally.

ME
Sir, I cannot tell you who is and who isn't at the hospital.

MAN
Are you telling me I have to get on a fucking plane and drag my ass over to the hospital so that I can take her home with me?

ME
Sir, I'm not saying anything like that. I'm saying that I cannot give you any information.

MAN
Shit bitch. All right, you wanna play that way? I'll get on a fucking plane to-fucking-night, and you will pay for this. Shit will go down, and you're gonna be in the middle of it. Watch yourself. [hangs up]

My first death threat! Oh I love my job I love my job I love my job. Weird thing is, the patient has been divorced for twenty years, and her daughter claims there's no relationship there anymore, and he definitely wouldn't care if she was alive or dead, much less if she were in the hospital. So now I'm just confused who the heck that guy was.