Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A change is gonna come

I woke up today feeling giddy. Kind of like a five-year-old waking up on the day of their birthday party - excited and ready to rip open presents. My heart was pounding, and there was a huge grin on my face.

Today is election day!

I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but this is the first election where I've felt personally invested. This is the first election where I've actually cared. Bush and Gore? Why bother - clearly Gore was going to win. And Bush vs. Kerry? Sorry, I had midterms to take.

But this election year is a whole 'nother story. Because the next four years are going to be important for me. I am no longer going to be the perpetual student, shielded from the economy and wars by the three walls of my library cubicle desk. No, this election is going to affect my life, my work, my family. And best of all - after all these days of complaining about my health insurance, or rather, lack thereof, we are finally having an election where that was a major talking point. There's finally talk about withdrawing our troops, and I hope that there will soon be an end to the CNN articles that tell us about the daily Iraq death toll.

So yeah, I'm invested. Tonight I'll watch the poll results come in and be excited, instead of years past where I've always been disappointed that House was preempted for this presidential crap. No, I'll be excited, because today, America rewrites history. Today, we will find out who our next president will be. The first African American? The oldest president ever? Regardless, today America will decide a new path - a new destiny - for our truly wonderful nation.

And with the largest voter turnout ever predicted, today is guaranteed to be exciting. Historical. Nerve-wracking. And hopefully joyful.

See you on the other side.