Monday, November 17, 2008

Ring the alarm

This is not the kind of news you want to wake up to. Especially when it involves the only home you've ever known.



So you know how on the news there's been all this talk about the California wildfires? Turns out I shouldn't have been so cavalier about it when the talk first started. My hometown was evacuated last Saturday night. And there are pictures everywhere of the hills surrounding my town going up in flames. Even amidst stories about "lulls in winds," there are pictures of what is essentially my backyard, filled with black toxic smoke. The picture on the front page of the LA times? That's the freeway exit to my house - merely two minutes away. And even the caption refers to the firefighters doing battle. Note: they are not "fighting flames," they are battling flames.

This is the map that scares the crap out of me though. I mean, look! All arrows point to Diamond Bar. And every time they update it, the flames are ever closer. The red area encroaches farther and farther in. But what can I do? Gotta just keep my fingers crossed, say my prayers, rain dance, and perform rituals for the Wind God. They say to assume the worst, and hope for the best, right? But I'm praying for miracles. Please please please - don't burn down, house. Don't burn away because you are all of my childhood memories wrapped up in four walls.

A big hearty thank you to all the firemen out there who are fighting to keep flames from engulfing my house. Huge hugs to those flying airplanes dropping fire retardant everywhere to keep my little town standing. Thank you to the visiting fire crews for driving all night from central California just to help out Los Angeles. Thank you for doing everything you can to save my home, my childhood. You truly are heroes.

Sure, it might look different when I finally go home - a little less green, a little less pretty - but honestly, I just want a place to go home to.

To my friends out there, stay safe! And please listen to authorities and evacuate if you have to!