Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Hokey Pokey (that's what it's all about)

There is a website where this guy will mail you stuff if you buy things from him. There's one where if you help pay for a trip to Japan, he'll mail you an envelope full of star sand. (There's a picture of the sand, and it really is quite beautiful since it's all made up of little tiny shells and pretty shaped things.)

There are empty envelopes for sale, one-of-a-kind pictures of the sky, lava rocks, etc. And I kind of want to donate to all of these things, because they're unique and interesting, and I want to feel like I do more than just sit in my room and study. How cool would it be to say that you funded a expedition to Iceland for lava rocks? Or a mission to Japan for star sand?

But I think the one thing for sale that appealed to me most was this one:
Seriously, how wonderful is that? To know that you're just giving away free cookies. You're gonna buy $30 worth of cookies and make that many people smile. It's something so simple, and yet, bound to make at least one person's day. I know if I got a free cookie, I would be ecstatic. I'd be so happy I might even clap my hands because I know it and I really ought to show it.

I almost clicked on that PayPal link. And I started fantasizing about what my bullet point would say. "Michelle purchased the giving away of cookies from Mrs. Fields' in Chicago, IL. The first cookie was given to a homeless man on Michigan Ave. and Erie, and the last one was given to a doorman at the Trump Tower."

And then I decided that I would make some cookies of my own, and hand them out. After all, it's not like I don't have two hands to bake with, or two legs to walk around with, or one mouth to yell out "Free COOKIES!" with. Maybe I'll hand them out in the Loop, or next to the beach, or maybe for all those shoppers on Michigan Ave.

'Tis the season, after all. I can't wait to make some people smile.